I know, I know…we’ve all done the cabbage soup diet aka weight loss soup, and left that behind in the ’90s. I actually did lose weight on the diet, but it was probably because I got so sick of eating it I ended up not eating anything. My hubby said he still can’t eat soup because of that hell week in 1998.
But, I digress. I saw a recipe for vegetable soup that COULD result in losing 24 pounds in a week. I seriously doubt that, but I really could use some extra veggies to detox from my horrendous eating over the holidays.
And I love soup.
And if I lost weight in the process, I wouldn’t be mad, know what I mean?
So this weekend we chopped up lots and lots of veggies and made a huge pot of this miracle soup that claims extraordinary weight loss.
This is NO cabbage soup, it is delish! Definitely doesn’t taste like a dieters soup. Rich flavor, filling beans, loads of fiber and vitamins.
Check it out (yes, I know that saltines aren’t part of the diet, but I like them OK?)
- Bag of frozen onions and peppers (I used the store brand)
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package of sliced mushrooms
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 jalapeno
- 4 squirts of minced garlic paste
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of pinto beans
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- Taco seasoning, chili powder, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste
- Chop all the veggies
- Saute the onions and peppers with garlic and salt for ~4 minutes
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, jalapeño and celery, sauté until veggies are soft. Add spices, then tomato paste. Mix and heat through.
- In a separate stock pot, add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, beans and corn, bring to a simmer.
- Add sautéed vegetables to the stock pot. Heat on low for several hours.
This made a TON! You can definitely serve this for lunch and dinner for your entire family for the week. You can always freeze what you don’t use.
I’ll let you know if I lose any weight on the diet. Have you ever gone on a soup diet? Like it or no? Would love to hear from you!