THIS if what I’ve been waiting for my entire life. A HEALTHY Jalapeño Popper Recipe! What??
Healthy Jalapeño Popper Recipe
- 10 jalapeños
- 1 package reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 block 75% reduced fat Cabot white cheese
- 1 cup whole wheat panko
- 4 egg whites
- Cut the tops off the jalapeños and remove the seeds and ribs using a small paring knife. You just want to hollow out the jalapeño, but leave it whole with a place to insert the cheese filling.
- Place the hollowed out jalapeños on a cookie sheet and broil on high in the oven for five minutes to char.
- Meanwhile, shred the Cabot 75% reduced fat cheese into the bowl of a KitchenAid mixer. Add the cream cheese and mix until well blended.
- Place the cream cheese/Cabot mixture into a gallon sized Ziploc bag with the tip cut off.
- Once the jalapeños cool off, pipe the cheese into the peppers
- Dip the filled jalapeños into whipped egg whites, then dip into the whole wheat panko; place on the baking sheet; Spray with Pam to get the mixture to stick and stay on the pepper
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes
I made these on Super Bowl Sunday and they were a huge hit. They are so gooey and cheese, it’s hard to believe that they are healthy! You can make these as spicy or mild as you want. A tip is that the hottest part of the pepper is the placental material surrounding the seeds, but not the seeds themselves. Therefore, if you remove more of that material, you will have mild peppers. If you leave some of it in the pepper, they will be spicy.
And did you know that jalapeños are super good for you? They are filled with vitamin C and vitamin A, both of which boost your immune system!
What did you make on Super Bowl Sunday? Anything healthy or did you splurge?